Alien electric guitar
1.08 min. | 4.061467
user rating | 5600952 views
A tubular electric guitar from a crashed alien spacecraft ;-). This one has 22 frets to the octave (31 total). Hutch had never played a 22-tone guitar before, or a tubular one! He plays Henry Mancini's theme from Peter Gunn (or Blues Brothers or Planet Claire) followed by a basic 12 bar blues shuffle in E.
See http://www.handmademusicclubhouse.com/forum/topics/pic-of-homemade-abs-bass-in?commentId=4519676%3AComment%3A78912 for more info and photos.
Creator's home page http://dkeenan.com
- The frets are essentially a leaky optic fibre illuminated from inside the tube.
- Cool, what are the glowing frets made of and how are they illuminated?
- The radius (half the diameter) is actually 1.1". But it's amazing how quickly you can adapt to it.
- Yes it's carbon fiber. Well spotted. And the lower quarter of the tube is filled with concrete for balance and acoustics -- it's a solid body electric. Instead of neck-thru-body, it's body-thru-neck. :-)
- If by "fake?", you mean maybe it's not really made by space aliens, then you must have missed the winky face in the description. If you mean maybe it's not really making the sound you hear, see the photos linked from the description "Show more".
- fret board radius 4"
- Is that a carbon fiber tube?
- FAKE ?
- i have a theory: the aliens dropped one of their guitars. it was taken to area 51, modified and became what it is on youtube.
- Dafuq? $1500 for this...
- No. I built an insane-looking guitar in a tuning that is well-known among microtonalists because a guy wanted to buy it with that tuning. He had seen photos of earlier prototypes. I had it for one night between finishing it and sending it off. I took it to a pot-luck dinner of fellow hackers. It was amazing that anyone could play anything on it, so I am grateful to Hutch for taking the time, and grateful to Eddie M. for filming it. Hutch also played some Pink Floyd. See Alien Electric Guitar 2.
- So you built a guitar in an experimental tuning so you can poorly play some generic blues?
- you mean his guitar necklace?
- Whats the name of song?
- At least it's better then Lil Wayne.
- I am planning to do a small production run (with standard fretting) at about AU$1500 each, just as soon as I finish my current project, converting a Mazda Miata/MX-5 to electric drive. Hopefully this year. I will let anyone who has expressed an interest know when this happens.
- are these for sale?
- it looks like a sitar! :)
- very stupid guitar
- make this into a 7 string guitar then contact Rings Of Saturn. They would be pleased.
- deathya1. Lmao now that was just wrong lol. But seriously man, that is pretty nice :)
- :D And can be a Weed Pipe too...
- See the photos linked from the description "Show more". They show the clip-on "blade" that stops rotation, although Hutch chose not to use it when the video was taken.
- If you try to bend you just turn the whole guitar :/