Seasons In The Sun - Terry Jacks 1974
3.45 min. | 4.9292293
user rating | 12827281 views
Seasons in the Sun" was a worldwide hit song for Terry Jacks in 1974. It was first released in the United States and Canada early in the year, and rose to number one in America by March 2. An earlier recording appeared on The Kingston Trio's 1963 album, Time to Think. The song had also been done by English band The Fortunes in 1968, and by Pearls Before Swine in 1970/71.
The song was based on "Le Moribond" ("The Dying Man"), written by Jacques Brel in 1961. Brel's song was translated into English by poet Rod McKuen and this version was first recorded by Bob Shane of the Kingston Trio, but it did not sell. The Beach Boys also recorded the song but it was never released.
Terry Jacks, who had participated in the Beach Boys recording, and who had in fact introduced the song to the group, rewrote part of the lyrics to "lighten them up." Jacks' revisions tended to add a bit of ambiguity as to the nature of the storyteller's demise, allowing listeners the option to choose whether the death is from suicide over a failed life - quite possibly to escape drug addiction - or someone accepting death from natural causes, or cancer. References to a cheating wife were also removed.
- I'm sorry for ur heartbreak Ann- I've got 2 grown girls & 2 grands I love more than life! At 17 due to suicidal depression I sat listening to this song over n over while I was in hspt. for 7 mos., but I'm thankfully here today.
- To my best friend that died in 1976,i still miss you.
- after reading many, many, posts. MOST of you are under the impression that this is a song for suicide. YOUR GLASS IS NOT JUST HALF EMPTY, ITS EMPTY. This is mine and my wife's SONG and we've been together for 32 years. we are still together and always will be for 18 years ( golden 50)7if your a dumb ass and wanna jump off a building. I say JUMP! JUMP! JUMP! but there are alternatives..
- this song is NOT about suicide,yes its about dying but not in that way
- This song reminds me of my aunt, last year she commited suicide, I feel the lyrics talk to me.
My mother, her younger sister is called michelle, my mum cared for laraine and tried to help her cope,
her pappa recently died before, and now they're back together.
I miss you laraine, I hope your okay with grandad up there.
- I am so sorry for your son's young life being taken from you and his sister. I just can't imagine living through something like that. You are a strong person my friend!!!!!!!
- WHEN I WAS 16 WE MOVED TO FLORIDA AND ALL HIS OTHER FRIENDS FELL TO THE WAYSIDE I WAS IT!!!!!!!! ...... WHEN WE MOVED DOWN HERE IN 1978, HE CALLED ME ONCE AND SAID HE WAS SOOO LONESOME HE WANTED TO JUST DIE!!!! I INVITED HIM DOWN HERE FOR VACATION BUT HIS PARENTS WOULDN'T COME.. NEXT THING I HEARD HE WENT TO HEAVEN TO BE WITH JESUS!!!! I FEEL SOOOO GUILTY ABOUT THAT FOR A LONG TIME BUT, I GUESS THAT IS WHAT HE WANTED....SO GOD ENDED HIS SUFFERING AMEN.....HIS MOTHER WAS CRUSHED NEEDLESS TO SAY!
- When I was 13 my BEST FRIEND in the WORLD got gangrene in his entire intestine...left him with just enough to reach from stomach to rear end!! The hospital workers' were CRUEL to him and would not even give him ICE CHIPS for GODS' sake!!!
He was SOOO thirsty he begged me to bring him a wash cloth full of water so he could suck the water out
- so sad
- This is my favorite..At my funeral,this will be the most important song..This song means so much for me.....
- Such a sad and yet happy song. Really great song!
- i think the singer is the one dying and saying goodbye to everyone
- I don't get this song I know someone dies but is him( metaphorically ) or if its those people he is singing about? :/ Still a good song though.
- This is the only song my dad reacts to in all my life, doesn't care about music but seems to love this tune. He is 84 now.
- Prekrasna pjesma. Za relaksaciju
- PERICO VILLAVICENCIO-HUANCAYO PERU 1974
- Yes, this.
- With all due respect, I don't think that's anyone's business besides their own.
- your comment broke me down to tears.
I can't imagine the pain you must have.
My prayers are with you and yours.
- One of those songs like HOW DO YOU DO by Mouth and MacNeil. Always gives me the chills when I hear it now. Love it.
- When I was young at 13 moved to blue hill maine I had this friend name rob passed away from hit on by a drunk driver reminds me of him it really chrushed me bad
- reminds me of when i was little
- Yeah I just want to give a special shutout to my dog spike
- why did he kill himself ?