Stephen Hawking: Questioning the universe
10.22 min. | 4.7425895
user rating | 3616040 views
http://www.ted.com Professor Stephen Hawking asks some big questions about our universe -- How did the universe begin? How did life begin? Are we alone? -- and discusses how we might go about answering them.
TEDTalks is a daily video podcast of the best talks and performances from the TED Conference, where the world's leading thinkers and doers give the talk of their lives in 18 minutes. TED stands for Technology, Entertainment, Design, and TEDTalks cover these topics as well as science, business, development and the arts. Closed captions and translated subtitles in a variety of languages are now available on TED.com, at http://www.ted.com/translate.
Follow us on Twitter
Checkout our Facebook page for TED exclusives
- oh please faggot. just admit it. You are so ignorant and selfish you are not going to believe even if someone tells the truth. Go to hell bastard!
- kill yourself retard
- It has a hidden message in that last sentence. It's important to our freedoms, as is the second amendment.
- @bradzonghetti- ok so you don't believe in a God, but I think it would be worthwhile if you study what the bible teaches, then you can make those assumptions. I respect your beliefs, as this was the intentions for the founding of this country. But I ask for you to imagine a government that thinks it's God by its very own existence. Government wants to think it gives us our rights, but that is not the case. We are born with inalienable rights, inherited at birth by our creator.
- i can't believe you have the gall to call stephen hawking a dumbass. he probably IS god compared to you. and to answer your question, his whole SPEECH is about him TALKING about how he THINKS his PREDICTIONS talk about 15 billion years ago.
- I'm awake buddy. Wide awake. I said nothing about this guys capabilities and achievements. I look up to Mr. Hawkins, and I believe in what he is doing. With that said, if you know history, then you know that government did not write the constitution. A free people wrote the constitution. They studied history, and that's what I am talking about. Our rights are from God, not government. Whether you believe in him or not, be lucky that God is in our constitution.
- @tedwa no one proved jesus existed and the bible is based on beliefs not history
- This is Steven Hawking...
One of the greatest intellectual capabilities that ever lived...
Many atheists and theists alike praise him...
Have you been living under a rock?
- No... Even theist archaeologists can factually state that they have not yet found proof of the existence of Jesus. The only character in the bible that has been proven to exist is Pontious Pilate. No, the bible, by definition is not history though it does state some true facts. But these facts state nothing of the validity of the rest of the text.We will get our freedoms from personal morality of the government. If the government has no personal morality, then we are doomed.
- @Freightheist your an idiot if dont know him and he has done a lot of things in our history
- I love how whoever this guy is. Tries to sound so smart. His fucking retarded. He has a computer talk for him. This guy knows nothing. Why is everyone acting like he's done something to this world? No one has ever even heard of this guy. He has done nothing and that's how it will remain. He's lucky this video went viral otherwise knowone would no who the hell he is.
- Only if government were using our technologies, which were created by a free and prosperous society for the good of mankind, then that would be great. But that's not the case, which Mr. Hawkins points out specifically. Civilizations destroy theirselves because they become evil minded and corrupt. Just as Rome did. If we were a country that lived on the principles of the bible, then maybe we could advance, but all I am seeing is Rome all over again. History repeats itself and people are too
- It has been proven that Jesus walked this earth. And yes, the Holy Bible is a history book, and without it our earth would be unimaginable. They been trying to find our "creator" since the beginning of time. As for the time being, I will live in peace believing no one is superior to the man above, including government. Whether you believe in God or not, if you take God out of the constitution, then who else do we get our freedoms from?? Not government.... As much as the would like to be.
- 244 and 144p?? :(
- If you are seeking a new and different explanation of the truth that makes sense, search for 'Truth Contest' in Google and click on the 1st result, then click on 'The Present' and read what it says. This is truth you can check. What it says will turn this world around if it reaches enough people. You will know what I mean when you read the first page.
Forward this to all your contacts; everyone needs to see it.
- It's called gravitational pull.
- this is mad mad world after all :) n i totally agree with u
- I like that moment he shakes his head.....oh....
- I do disagree with previous phrasing of the comment you responded to, but in present time, fact states, the only legitimate character from the bible that has been proven to have existed is Pontius Pilate. This is not sufficient evidence of the bibles implications. The Bible can not be considered a "History" book. Furthermore there are many facts in science that don't directly contradict your god's existence, but render some of his stories (young earth creation) impossible leaving God improbable.
- Do you guys honestly intend to gather a supporting crowd of "God" among a community of people interested in Steven Hawking? I can not phrase the question other than "why are you here preaching about your religious beliefs and being insulted by atheism while watching an atheist talk about physics, astronomy and other branches?" For your specific cause, why don't you guys go listen to a priest explain his deluded concept of young Earth creation in 7 days specially catered to our idiotic society?
- and on another note, i am not trying to disrespect your religion. i think Jesus' teachings are phenomenal...people just corrupt it all. i'm not trying to offend, just enlighten.
- p.s. Bible is not recorded history. the gospel has 4 fucking versions...
- he's not talking about history, fool. that's obviously valid because it has been recorded as fact. we have seen it happen. he means man made shit like God. God is just as much a fictional character as Spider-Man. think about it. wise up goober!! don't call someone a retard unless you are ready to realize you are just as retarded.
- somewhere else
- Luke Wayburn, you are such a stupid troll its pathetic. you have filled the page up with gibberish that nobody can even stand to read because your english is rediculous, which is funny because it only further leads people to believe that you're on some kind of anti-God crusade and that your obviously a retarded extremist. yes thats right.... the athiests are the real extremists which you have proven here, so why dont you go spread your caca-mami bullcrap so