Stephen Hawking: Questioning the universe
10.22 min. | 4.736301
user rating | 4663588 views
http://www.ted.com Professor Stephen Hawking asks some big questions about our universe -- How did the universe begin? How did life begin? Are we alone? -- and discusses how we might go about answering them.
TEDTalks is a daily video podcast of the best talks and performances from the TED Conference, where the world's leading thinkers and doers give the talk of their lives in 18 minutes. TED stands for Technology, Entertainment, Design, and TEDTalks cover these topics as well as science, business, development and the arts. Closed captions and translated subtitles in a variety of languages are now available on TED.com, at http://www.ted.com/translate.
Follow us on Twitter
Checkout our Facebook page for TED exclusives
- Hawkings is the most overrated scientist in the world. He became famous for
saying "blackholes emit radiation" lol. All the laws he's created... he's
later disproven. And the REAL REASON he became famous is he did his Hawking
Radiation lecture just months after getting sick... so people felt bad for
him and gave him more attention than he deserved. I feel bad that he's
sick, but ironically, his robotic voice has distinguished him more than his
theories have. I truly feel had he not got sick, nobody would GAF what this
man said. Because he still hasn't proven anything meaningful. At least
Einstein invented the atomic bomb, E=MC2, etc. Hawkings is just full of
theories... not practicalities.
- I thought I was looking at a still image for the first few seconds...
- The amount of sheer disrespect in these comments is crazy! We should be
thanking Hawking for his contributions to science and for his willingness
to share some of his knowledge when it is so difficult to communicate. Be
- This Guy is a Joke. No way.....
- When was this recorded? How close is this Stephen to the current?
- good lecture by hawking. however, i just have one disagreement with what he
said (very small, really). if we want to ensure long-term survival for our
species, we shouldn't be going outside of our planet. we should be
searching our own minds for ways to become more moral and understand.
science and the technological advancements due to it go by leaps and
bounds... but it seems our morality doesn't advance that far and that fast.
our morality isn't catching up with the issues that our knowledge brings
us. if we were to go out there with low standards of morality, we're still
not escaping from the one true enemy: us. Until we fix our rate of
advancement of our morality, we should not go out there into space.
- Dear other theists,
I know we believe in god but, calling what we believe "right" is a bit
close minded. Anything is possible.
- Stephen Hawking is being controlled by his computer, for all we know, he is
some Downie whom his evil computer took advantage of. #RobotInvasion
- If God did not exist, his infinite universe theory would be invalidated?
I'm not a believer just being a Devil's Advocate. Since anything is
possible in a certain universe wouldn't God exist far away? And then
wouldn't that mean God has the power to travel through universes?
- "There is nothing bigger or older than the universe." God that's a
- True science and pure religion go hand in hand. When "scientists" believed
the earth was flat, those who studied the Bible already knew that wasn't
the case. And now they are trying to find out if there are other planets
out there. Those who diligently study the Bible already know there are
other planets out there because the Bible tells us of other worlds. True
scientists who study the the Bible will always be a few steps closer to
truth than "scientists" who come up with their own theories and lean unto
their own understanding.
- I'm going to go with the theory that advanced civilizations at our level
and up destroy themselves.
- The good thing about Dr. Hawkin's lecture is that google automatic subs do
work pretty well.
*What is consciousness? How does Life basically work? Is there life after
death? Submit an entry to "The Truth Contest" site if you have the answers
- is this dude bill gate s dad
- That guy breathing and laughing into the microphone is atrociously
annoying. Other than that I liked this talk, but my complaint was not
caused by Stephen, just the annoying host.
- We look for radio waves because that's what we use to communicate.
What if a more advanced being, has discovered a better way of
communication, which we currently aren't looking for.
I do find it intriguing that a far away planet, would be able to answer so
many of our questions about the past (6,001 lightyears would do the
trick...). Please aliens ruin religion!
- Our future is in space? Well I'm not so sure after Branson's recent
misadventure. And if we did pursue it, shame, take another planet down?
Mankind is likely to implode on itself, and so what? Gone is gone, no-one
will know. :)
The Earth rules!
Read Ishmael by Daniel Quinn. Much fun.
- It saddens me every time I watch a amazing video about science and learning
and expanding the human mind, but then look at the comments and see a swarm
of mindless religious trolls ( most of the time christian) saying hard
proven facts aren't true. Why? It unrelated, unneeded, unwanted.
- I don't care what you guys say but if Stephen Hawkins was so smart, he
would believe that God created the universe.
- please where to download stephen hawking's software?
- It seems like all the US stupidity has been concentrated in these comments.
- No scientist does not belive in God because it would embarrass science !!
GOD exist and point.
- Are you ready to face the truth of life?
*Click "The Present" on TruthContest◙com*
- I feel really bad for him being paralyzed, but how did he have children?
Did he adopt them or what?