Stephen Hawking: Questioning the universe
10.22 min. | 4.735175
user rating | 4567103 views
http://www.ted.com Professor Stephen Hawking asks some big questions about our universe -- How did the universe begin? How did life begin? Are we alone? -- and discusses how we might go about answering them.
TEDTalks is a daily video podcast of the best talks and performances from the TED Conference, where the world's leading thinkers and doers give the talk of their lives in 18 minutes. TED stands for Technology, Entertainment, Design, and TEDTalks cover these topics as well as science, business, development and the arts. Closed captions and translated subtitles in a variety of languages are now available on TED.com, at http://www.ted.com/translate.
Follow us on Twitter
Checkout our Facebook page for TED exclusives
- if steven hockings so smart why can eh not wock?
- This Guy is a Joke. No way.....
- I believe in God and I also believe science. I don't believe one cancels
out the other. Those that do on both sides of the fence, in my opinion, are
biased, judgmental and lack pure intelligence. When I see the vastness of
the universe through science, I see God, without being put in a box,
without man-made restraints. God and the universe are one and the same and
this is my concept.
God the Universe Concept:
It was written that God made man in his own image. I believe the Bible is
more than just a religious history book, it's a schematic blueprint of our
universe. God is love and anything else is a waste of time and space.
Imaginary time: Stephen Hawking no longer believes in the universe being
created from the Big Bang. He now writes of the no boundary proposal "The
universe would be completely self contained and not affected by anything
outside itself. It would neither be created nor destroyed. It would just BE.
Brief version of God the Universe Concept:
It was written in the Bible: "I am the alpha and the omega, the beginning
and the end". Being eternal, without a beginning and without an end. That
gives man a clue to unlock the secrets of the cosmos. God is the universe
we see all around us. God has always been here from the sub atomic levels
to the infinity of space that we can see and beyond. "God said, Let us make
man in Our image, according to Our likeness". If the universe is God's
likeness then God would make man using the atomic structure, protons,
neutrons and electrons of course, the chemical basis of life. Trinity:
three persons are distinct, yet are one "substance "the atomic structure"
The universe has always been accelerating. (Einstein's theory of gravity,
the one that contained what was called a 'cosmological constant'). Dark
energy, the expansion of the universe, is the opposite than that of
'normal' matter and is "anti-matter-energy". Black holes are like big bang
particle accelerators scavenging matter in one universe to create life in
another alternate multi universe. God the Universe is endlessly expanding
to the point of infinity, a kind of 'over-unity' energy — that is, it
produces more energy than it consumes --- more matter and
anti-matter-energy equals a faster rate of expansion. A universe within a
universe where man and all matter are regenerated over and over again.
Black holes 'big bangs' are just the latest in an infinite number of cycles
going back into the past and into the future. It seems that time may just
be a 'frigment' of our imagination Gravitational waves, ripples in
space-time suggest that the universe did indeed expand many times faster
than the speed of light in the first few instants after the Big Bang.
"cosmic inflation" theory- accelerated by anti-matter-energy. See "about"
for full version.
- Dear other theists,
I know we believe in god but, calling what we believe "right" is a bit
close minded. Anything is possible.
- I thought I was looking at a still image for the first few seconds...
- Stephen Hawking is being controlled by his computer, for all we know, he is
some Downie whom his evil computer took advantage of. #RobotInvasion
- How does he eat and how does he go to the bathroom??
- He is obviously not smart no offense but God does exist and God create all
things he is the beginning and end the alfa and de omega. He gives life.
obviously what we see has a creator and it's God wether you accepted it or
- I pity him, despite his inteligence and fame he deny God who gave him
everything, I pray that his soul can still be save before it's too late
- 6:56 one hundred years. Thats it?
- Push me, and then just touch me, till I can get my, satisfaction.
- I don't care what you guys say but if Stephen Hawkins was so smart, he
would believe that God created the universe.
- If God did not exist, his infinite universe theory would be invalidated?
I'm not a believer just being a Devil's Advocate. Since anything is
possible in a certain universe wouldn't God exist far away? And then
wouldn't that mean God has the power to travel through universes?
- People compare him to Isaac newton and albert einstein
- good lecture by hawking. however, i just have one disagreement with what he
said (very small, really). if we want to ensure long-term survival for our
species, we shouldn't be going outside of our planet. we should be
searching our own minds for ways to become more moral and understand.
science and the technological advancements due to it go by leaps and
bounds... but it seems our morality doesn't advance that far and that fast.
our morality isn't catching up with the issues that our knowledge brings
us. if we were to go out there with low standards of morality, we're still
not escaping from the one true enemy: us. Until we fix our rate of
advancement of our morality, we should not go out there into space.
- is this dude bill gate s dad
- Not to insult Hawking, but who would listen to him when he is in the state
he is. Half of what he says is restating things he already has said. Just
does not make sense to me to listen to a word he says.
- I feel really bad for him being paralyzed, but how did he have children?
Did he adopt them or what?
- they could've prepared a video with what he said ...
- This dude has the disease the ice bucket challenge is about.
- wait a min. he's paralyzed but he's able to use the device for
- I love his sense of humor!
- Using Time calculations in any answer would be an error most likely due to
the fact that the assumed time would be different at every point in the
universe,due to the fact that the points of being would exist at different
Times,depending on the location of the point of being ;thinking Galaxy to
Galaxy distances here.
- In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth Genesis 1:1
There's your answer
- 1K thumbs down... for what?