"Summertime" Charlie Parker
2.82 min. | 4.9721255
user rating | 336521 views
"Summertime, " composed by George Gershwin for the 1935 opera Porgy and Bess with lyrics by DuBose Heyward and Ira Gershwin, was recorded by Charlie Parker as part of his album, Charlie Parker with Strings, on the Clef label on November 30, 1949. Considered to be one of his finest albums, it is now available on a Verve CD, Charlie Parker with Strings, The Master Takes. Personnel on the album included Mitch Miller on oboe, Ray Brown on bass, and Buddy Rich on drums. The sound recording is administered by Warner Chappell & AdShare MG for a Third Party . No copyright infringement is intended. This purpose of this upload is for viewer enjoyment and education not for monetary gain.
- supper Jazz, i love Jazz, Belarus super!!!
- Parker and Dizzy,That´s it!
- Luyv the way musiyc brings people together.
- Nobody is writing songs lke this now! SAD
- Man! I sure do appreciate your comments. I was listening to jazz back when
I was 9 years old. Don't give up on today's music...there is some great
stuff out there in Hip-Hop and even Country. BTW: I recommend listening to
early Herbie Hancock; especially his Crossings album. It was so bold and
way out there, and yet, it was jazz; inspired by Miles Davis.
- Exquisite in every way.
- You're probably being too hard on yourself.
- @enoilgag1 I don't play the sax,you don't have to to know he is the best
- Bird could play some nice restrained melodic lines unlike some of his would
be lattter day imitators. Gershwin's inspiration for this was obviously
that well known 8 bar, St James Infirmary.
- i play the saxophone too and i completely agree charlie parker is the best
- NICE!!!!!.....I guess theres one more Charlie Parker hit I like!!!
- makes me think of a beautiful woman
- I play the saxophone. And he's the best!
- Thanks for uploading this video, I'm a huge fan of Charlie Parker's work.
On a site note, I'm selling a Selmer Reference 54 Hummingbird, Alto
Saxophone (Standard Edition) on ebay, and I thought I'd display its sale in
relevant places, as it is a collector's item dedicated to Charlie Parker
(there are only 200 in the United States). Please message me if interested
as I apparently cannot post web addresses in these comments. Thanks again
for the upload.
- Rappers don't endorse heroin, thats taboo as is crack.
- itsmeinteh603, you could not put it any better. This is timeless by the
maestro (Charlie Parker). We have to thank the man above to give us Byrd.
- VERY, VERY NICE . . .
- A wonderful talent wasted by illegal drugs....Whitney Houston others never
learned...Parker always said do what I say don't do what I do....I think he
felt ashamed of some his performances that were not up to own high
standards because of his drug habit... a different world from the 60's Rock
and Roll to the present hip hoppers' tacit endorsement of illicit drugs
- Alternatively, the song has been proposed as an amalgamation of that
spiritual and the South-Russian Yiddish lullaby Pipi-pipipee. The
Ukrainian-Canadian composer and singer Alexis Kochan has suggested that
some part of Gershwin's inspiration may have come from having heard the
Ukrainian lullaby, Oi Khodyt Son Kolo Vikon (A Dream Passes By The Windows)
at a New York City performance by Oleksander Koshetz's Ukrainian National
Chorus in 1929 (or 1926). Other versions."
- This is what intense practicing will do for you if you have the talent and
inclination.....He's beyond fabulous.....
- the amount of film scores that have incorporated rythms melodies samples ,
, ,is like A LOT !
- look up dan white then youll have a different opinion
- All of the songs on the album are great.