The Tokens - The Lion Sleeps Tonight
2.70 min. | 4.9362073
user rating | 9589379 views
The Tokens, Rock & Roll
- Finer than fine. Thanks.
- Time past good time , innocents of that age.
- 1961 This is one of the very best oldies out there! Love the singing!
- I don't know how, but I could easily fall asleep to this.
- Drew Carey was in the Tokens?
- I remember the days where this would be my lullaby in order to sleep, and
it still is! :)
- This song, a wonderful feel good song from the early 1960's, was taken from
a song written by an African recording artist named Solomon Linda. He wrote
the song with lyrics in the language of his homeland about a mighty ruler
(King Shaka Zulu) who the people thought could never die. After the ruler
did die, people said it cannot be -he is just sleeping now. The song was
released in 1939. To hear the song type Solomon Linda Mbube in the youtube
search bar, and press enter :) .
- Bought this 45 and played it a thousand times. THANKS!
- lol this reminds me of ross's monkey marcel
- One of the cleanest wide stereo mix's of its time! Awesome!
- is that John Travolta in the upper right corner?? haha lol
- what can I say but great
- SO HAPPY! :D
- the middle one is drew carrey. they announced this on the radio a few weeks
ago. i was so glad to hear this too , so we know he has more than one
talent. thank you so much drew carrey..we really don't know how many more
- The guy in the middle looks like Drew Carey, lol
- Fantastic !
- for a guy to sing like that back then was better than the beach boys i cant
throw my voice that high
- I saw a video of this song that consisted of two 23 year old germans or
swedes lipsynching and carrying on...... Hysterical! I can't find that link
anymore. I had been drinking a lot, and it was several years ago, so I
don't remember what I typed into the search bar. Anyone know what I'm
- I was born in 62 and I grew up hearing this and love it
- hahahahahahah silver diner. MY JAM MANE
- im going to cry
- i still cant b-liv this is originaly a south african song , thanx linda
solom rest in peace . its cald Mbube not awima we!!!!!
- .......so I have a soft spot... ;/
- Another melody from long ago that keeps defying its age... It fits well in
any time!... beauty never fades
- I just remember in grade school in 1961 during lunch period, I happened to
see 8th grade girls gathered around a record player in absolute ecstasy
getting into this song. I was in the 7th grade and was amazed.